Ms. Wagener
AP English Language
23 June 2013
Views on Women Throughout the Ages
We have had many movements in our own backyard on the idea of equality. Whether it be racial, gender, or religious equality we have seen all the battles be fought. In 1955 we battled with racial inequality. During the late 19th century we started to see women get upset that they weren't treated the same as men. Surely this has always been the case but, we see it become more prominent as time goes on. Especially in our own history do we see women's rights become a big deal. However ancient Philosophers such as Aristotle had his own views on women.
When I read Aristotle's view on women, I'll admit, I laughed a little bit. The fact that he had this idea in his mind and the fact that he had such a huge impact on the people around him was slightly terrifying. Women had come some way forward by this point in time and by him saying that puts them back to where they were. I'm sure any female that has read Sophie's World will hate me for saying this but, I agree with Hegel's view on the difference in the sexes. I do however, agree with the fact that Plato thought that women could be as great and thoughtful as mean if the were trained correctly.
With the fact that I just stated that I agree with these views, then it would not come as a surprise to me that all but one or two of the philosophers in this book were male. It kind of makes sense to me. Women were put on the back-burner during this time so most of the philosophers would have been male. However with Aristotle's view, it seemed an unkind thing to think even during that time.
Today we are still fighting the fight between man and woman and I feel as if we always will be. Women will want their place in history; but men being stubborn as we are, won't let that happen without voicing our disapproval. However woman are making their mark on history and will continue to do so, in my opinion.
Today we are still fighting the fight between man and woman and I feel as if we always will be. Women will want their place in history; but men being stubborn as we are, won't let that happen without voicing our disapproval. However woman are making their mark on history and will continue to do so, in my opinion.
Some conventional issues here. I hope when you said, "women could be as great and thoughtful as men if they were trained correctly," you meant that they should be educated equally as men were. I feel that it isn't men just being "stubborn" throughout history and currently, but more of a power-hungriness that one gains and wants to preserve. It is almost a fear to some men to even consider a woman as being in an equal or higher regard. 18/20
ReplyDelete